We live on such a beautiful, incredible planet, don’t we?
It’s easy to be grateful for it on Earth Day…and then not actually do anything to help this beautiful planet after the day passes.
That’s why I’m sharing some tips for going green in your home and giving back to the planet today.
1. Ask your power company about purchasing green power. Think solar, geothermal, biomass and wind turbine instead of fossil fuels.
2. Replace your incandescent light bulbs with CFLs. Try switching to compact fluorescent light bulbs to save energy. They come in all shapes, types, and sizes, so don’t feel like you need to use the ones with a white glare or the curly bulbs.
3. Shop local. You live in Austin so you’re probably already doing this, but I had to add it anyway! When you shop local, you not only support the local economy and small business owners but local businesses are often much more eco-friendly than the big box stores mass-producing plastics in China.
This applies to food, too. Try the farmer’s market instead of the supermarket to get your favorite local fresh fruits and vegetables. They don’t travel hundreds or even thousands of miles to get to you, saving so much energy.
4. Ditch plastic. Speaking of plastic, where can you ditch single-use plastics in your home and diet? Think straws in your morning smoothie, food packaging, water bottles, and more.
5. Turn it off. When you’re not using them, turn your lights and appliances off. And teach your kids to do the same! Remember, when your appliances are running, they use energy, cost money, and create carbon dioxide from their energy use.
What ways do you try to stay green? Hit reply and share! And if you’re looking to move into a newer, more energy efficient home, let me know. I think I can help you out!
To going green,